Please read all of the information below before submitting your nomination.
Nominations are sent directly to and evaluated by Award Coordinators at the county level. The county may submit up to ten nominations to the Commission to be considered for the Governor’s Volunteer Service Award, one of the nominees may be recommended as a nominee for the Medallion Award. The county may also recommend one non-volunteer (paid) Director of Volunteers to be considered for a Medallion Award. The Commission will select award recipients based on merit and eligibility. Recipients are selected without regard to race, religion, gender, national origin, or physical/mental ability. Nominations for the Governor's Medallion Award are reviewed and evaluated by a statewide review panel that determines the recipients of the award. The award is given to the state's top 20 volunteers and one paid Director of Volunteers. Note that decisions are based on information provided in this form, be as descriptive as possible.
1. Nominees must have been engaged in volunteer activities for a minimum of one year in North Carolina and benefited a community or communities in the state in a substantial, important or unique way. Volunteer service performed outside the state will not be considered.
2. Students receiving course credits for their volunteer activities are ineligible unless the nomination is based on volunteer service that extends beyond the course requirements, in which case it must be clearly indicated in the nomination statement.
3. National Service volunteers must be nominated for service above and beyond that which is required of them in their national service program. Volunteer time recorded in a national service program will not be eligible.
4. Previous award recipients from within the past 10 years are ineligible.
5. Nominees are ineligible if they receive compensation for their service except the National Service or Director of Volunteers nominations.
6. Nomination cannot be based upon court-mandated community service.
7. Nomination cannot be based upon serving as a “loaned executive.”
8. Self-nominations are not allowable.
9. Family members may not nominate another family member for an award.
10. Multi-member nominations must come from those external to the group/team.
11. All nomination submission requirements listed below must be met.
12. Director of Volunteers who are paid for their service must be nominated in the non-volunteer service category.
Important Submission Requirements
1. All nominations must be submitted on the 2021 Governor’s Volunteer Service Award nomination form.
2. Only fully completed nomination forms will be accepted. Incomplete nominations will not be considered for the award.
3. While we regret any inconvenience it may cause, all nominations must be typed. Handwritten forms will not be accepted.
4. One additional reference is required for each nomination.
5. The nominator may not serve as the only reference.
6. Nomination attachments/supporting documentation (photographs, letters, etc.) will NOT be accepted.
7. The deadline for county coordinators to submit their nomination packet to the Governor’s Office is January 31, 2021. County coordinators should establish a local deadline for accepting nominations to allow adequate time for the local selection process and submittal by the 1/31/21 due date.
Link to form:
Send completed form no later than January 15, 2021 to [email protected]