The Human Race is the nonprofit community’s 5k. Since 1994, The Volunteer Center has managed the race, and helped raise over 4.5 million dollars for hundreds of local nonprofits.
Fundraising events are expensive to produce. Upfront costs like venues, food, and rentals add up quickly, and indirect costs like staff time can zap a nonprofit’s budget. The Volunteer Center handles all the event planning details: from venue rentals and permits to volunteers and day of logistics.
Nonprofits form teams and fundraise for themselves. Companies can create teams and fundraise on behalf of their favorite non-profits. The Volunteer Center provides an online fundraising website for every participant and every non-profit team to share with the world.
This is a great way for you and your staff, families, and clients or customers to come show love for the community, fundraise for organizations that align with your values and bond together on the day of!
All donations go through The Volunteer Center and are distributed to non-profits after the event. The Volunteer Center also invites and recruits company or community teams- these are companies or other groups that would like to fundraise for a nonprofit. Examples include Bank of America or MOPS groups. These teams choose a nonprofit to benefit- some choose one for the whole group or others create teams specific to the non-profit they want to raise money for.
For example: “Bank of America Operations Team - Raising Funds for Big Brothers Big Sisters”
“Bank of America Friendly Branch Team - Raising Funds for Backpack beginnings”
The Volunteer Center retains a fee to help cover the costs of producing the event: a percentage of the total amount raised for each nonprofit. This fee is designed to be less than the cost of each nonprofit producing their own event.
Everyone comes together on race day: April 18th, 2020. Between 3,000 and 5,000 people walk, run, or roll the 5k course, then gather in the park for an After Party with free food, music, and fun for the whole family!
The Volunteer Center Secures, Manages, and/or Coordinates:
- Cash Sponsors
- Emcees + Music
- 250 Volunteers
- Cones and Barricades
- Moving Services
- Corporate or Community Walking
- Food for After Party
- Water for walkers and runners
- Race Timer
- Posters and Brochures
- News Coverage
- Online Fundraising Website
- Porta Johns
- EMS Bike Team
- Police Officers
- T Shirts
Each Team Coordinator Secures, Manages, and/or Coordinates:
- Create a goal
- Start with a dollar goal in mind, and figure out how to get there.
- Start with a participant goal in mind, and estimate how much each will raise.
- Register and edit your team pages
- Recruit Fundraisers/Walkers/Runners
- Market your fundraising links
- Bring your team members together
- Create a spirit “costume” or way to represent your mission on race day
Step By Step Instructions:
1. Go to www.thehumanrace5k.org
2. Click “Register” in the top menu bar and scroll down to the red REGISTER button.
3. This directs you to our new fundraising and registration platform.
4. ALLOW POPUPS FOR THIS SITE. You can do this in settings or preferences depending on which browser you are using. Very important.
5. Click the Green Registration button on the right.
6. Select the registration type that applies to you (and your family or friends if you want to register them under your account). Walkers still get to participate for free and WILL NOT BE TIMED, but we do encourage a donation at registration to put a “tip in the tip jar.
7. Choose the SIGN UP section to enter your information. DO NOT check out as a guest. The Sign up option will generate a login for you which will allow you to access and edit your personal fundraising page.
8. If you are the FIRST registrant for your company, you will be the “captain” and will be the only person to edit the TEAM FUNDRAISING PAGE. You can come back and login anytime to manage your pages.
9. Enter your personal information, email address, emergency contact information.
10. NOTE Before moving to the next step: This is new this year!!! You will not be joining more than one team, by creating a company team and joining a non-profit team. All teams are listed in the same place. You can designate which non-profit you are raising money for on your fundraising page description and we will add that to the non-profit total at the end.
IF YOUR COMPANY WANTS TO RAISE MONEY FOR MORE THAN ONE NON-PROFIT: We suggest you create a separate team for each.
For example: When you register, use the dropdown to create a new team.
Type the name of your company - Raising Funds for [NON-PROFIT]
For example: “Bank of America Operations Team - Raising Funds for Big Brothers Big Sisters”
For example: “Bank of America Friendly Branch Team - Raising Funds for Backpack beginnings”
This is a great way for your company teams to compete with each other. We will total up all teams revenues within your company to celebrate how much you all raised together and to qualify for top fundraising awards.
11. In the Event Questions section, use the dropdown and select “join an existing team.” Scroll the pre-populated teams and select yours.
12. If your team is NOT listed, go above and select, “Create a new team” and add the name of your non-profit.
13. YOU WILL LET YOUR TEAM MEMBERS KNOW WHEN YOUR TEAM HAS BEEN CREATED AND ASK THEM TO SELECT IT IN THE EXISTING TEAM DROPDOWN WHEN JOINING.
14. Read and agree to our safety waivers and answer permission questions for our photo release, as well as letting us know if you are bringing a pet.
15. Add a donation amount if you wish (minimum of $10)!
16. Enter your payment information and check the waiver box. VERY IMPORTANT: If you have not yet, ALLOW POP-UPS FOR THIS PAGE.
17. Confirm registration.
18. A pop-up will appear to share the event with your social networks.
19. IMPORTANT!!! A pop-up will appear with two links. Copy and save both of them.
20. Edit Your pages. One is your personal fundraising page. You can login to your account and edit at any time. We encourage you to include your personal story, mission, or connection to why you are running or walking for this organization.
If you are the first team member to register for your non-profit, you will be the only one able to edit the TEAM fundraising page. We recommend you include links to your site, photos, your mission, and even more about your fundraising goal and what you're raising money for. IF YOU ARE HAVING AN ISSUE EDITING YOUR PAGE, SEND ME ([email protected]
) THE DESCRIPTION YOU WOULD LIKE AND THE FINANCIAL GOAL YOU WOULD LIKE TO HIT, AND I CAN SUBMIT IT ON YOUR BEHALF.
21. SEND a copy of your
logo to [email protected]
before March 1st.
22. SHARE your fundraising link with all friends, family, network, volunteers, board members, donors, cheerleaders, and more. People near and far can donate.
23. Advertise your links for runners, staff, supporters, and more. See MARKETING tips for more.
Online Fundraising is easier than ever and works directly with run registration! Your fundraising page is your team page and allows you to state a goal, your mission and more. Every participant gets their own fundraising page and can set their own goal to contribute to your team. The first registrant for your team creates the team fundraising page. See above section for more.
This new fundraising and registration platform makes it incredibly easy for anyone to donate to your page, whether they are participating or not. Processing fees can be passed onto the donor so beneficiaries are able to get the most out of the donations.
This platform accepts Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express.
You can share your links on social and beyond.
You can customize your fundraising page with photos and any text you’d like, including links to capital campaign information or your website.
When you share your fundraising link, the donate button makes it easy for anyone to donate directly to your campaign which automatically gets counted in your own “thermometer gauge
We encourage online fundraising first, but we know you will be collecting cash and checks as well. We will have designated days to drop those donations off with the correct forms and instructions. Stay tuned. Please note the nonprofits name in the memo line, and make checks payable to The Human Race.
We created a media kit just for you! It has logos, posters, artwork, and social media post artworks for your use!Download Media Kit
- Use the digital platforms you are already using to spread the word: social media, email marketing, and more.
- Hang posters in your place of business.
- Send letters inviting your staff to participate.
- Come up with giveaways or contents for people to share your team page and fundraising efforts.
- Host a kick off for your fundraisers- get them excited to participate, distribute materials and talk about the goal and why it’s important.
- Call us for a “pep rally”
- Create contest for your fundraisers, like “most donations turned in this week” or “most individual donors” or “top fundraiser overall”. Prizes can be a certificate, bragging rights, or a small gift card.
- Update your fundraisers of the team’s progress on a regular basis
- Communicate race day plans to your team members, and enjoy the Human Race!
- Generate company involvement.
- Get team involvement and input on how to represent your organization at race day! Spirit awards will be given! Get creative!
- EMAIL MARKETING is a great way to communicate with those who care about your mission. Grow your list and tell them about the race.
- Call on ambassadors to help spread the word and grow registration.
- Consider sponsoring for extra exposure.
- Paint the town!!! Upon approval by us, you can use our poster design or logo to pass out posters and flyers with your fundraising campaigns.
- Write and distribute a press release. Encourage media to come cover your involvement, your story, and opportunities to donate, including the Human Race.
- Share our facebook event.
- Create a hashtag.
- Send personal emails to supporters and invite them to help spread the word and donate.
- Ideas are my sweet spot. If you want to chat and come up with some fun ideas together, let me know! [email protected]